Senior Software Engineer
Digital marketing is undergoing one of the most significant changes in decades.
Switch was founded in 2021 to help marketing teams solve their #1 problem - rising customer acquisition costs. The Switch Platform is a turnkey SaaS solution for first-party data. Our clients achieve +90% match rates and +45% Return on Ad Spend (ROAS) growth on average. Switch automatically syncs everyday, in real-time - and we do it all without handling sensitive Personally Identifiable Information (PII). We're proud to be partnering with some of the most iconic brands and advanced marketing teams across North America and Europe. Switch was founded by an ex-Googler, and two executive engineers, who are passionate about helping businesses make better use of their data.
Switch is a remote-first company, with our leadership team based in Toronto, and will hire talented people anywhere in the world.
Switch has quickly become the must have product on every marketing tech stack. The Switch Platform is SaaS solution that makes it easy for marketers to connect with their ideal customers. Switch integrates with all the leading advertising networks and enables first-party data for profitable growth while raising the standards for data security and consumer privacy online.
Switch is a rapidly growing technology company and joining today is a unique opportunity to get in at the ground floor and accelerate your career within the company. Our founding team, and our investors, have major global ambitions that will impact the world for the better. Switch is enabling a more sustainable future for the ad supported internet and we've already achieved tremendous growth in the US, Canada, and Europe.
Switch is an ideal place to accelerate your career, and because we're at such an early stage today, you will be part of many aspects of the company and will contribute daily to the strategic direction in a meaningful way. Every week at Switch will feel like an accomplishment, where you will be rewarded for high impact and the opportunity to lead critical initiatives. We consider it a privilege to work with our outstanding portfolio of clients, many of which are among the most advanced marketing and technology organizations in the world. The Switch Platform is an automated solution, with real-time and always-on customer feedback, and the opportunity to scale within and beyond our current client base is immense.
Switch is a high growth startup with high expectations, but we all find energy in our growth, momentum, and the bond we are developing as teammates. Above all else Switch is inclusive, we're passionate about finding new teammates with diverse perspectives that can add to our culture and can help us develop a truly exceptional place to work.
The Switch Culture Vision
Switch Culture is actively being developed and defined by our founding team and new team members. We're always striving to get better and as a valued member of the Switch team you will play a key role in helping us solidify and scale the most important aspects of our culture. We value your opinion from day 1 and encourage your contribution to our vision. At Switch, we've been successful by listening to feedback and embracing new challenges and perspectives as a team.
Great work environment
- Flexibility (hours, appointments, health, exercise, hobbies, family, sleep - whatever you need to be at your best)
- Remote work environment with team events and office space rentals in Toronto
- Compassionate and respectful co-workers who succeed as a team
We foster strong team relationships to balance ambitious remote work
- Unlimited vacation, with a 3-week minimum, to ensure we all take time to recharge
- Flexible benefits program that grows as Switch grows
- Extended long weekends in the summer
- Team lunches, happy hours, game days and events
We care about your personal development and growth
- Switch is a place to accelerate your career for high impact
- Structured mentorship programs, conferences, and courses with roadmaps to your goals, or next role
- Lunch and Learns as a community-centric way to share knowledge
Switch is looking for a product-focused engineer to help build out our platform features, help scale the platform, and provide engineering support when we onboard new clients.
We are a fully remote, extremely collaborative team that defaults to open and extensive communication.
The Switch platform is a Ruby on Rails monolith that receives and processes large datasets from our clients and sends the processed data to a variety of partner APIs. We are currently building out new products around the core product and expanding the functionality of the core platform. A major focus of recent engineering initiatives is automating client onboarding, developing new product verticals, and expanding our catalogue of integrated platforms.
Our ideal candidate has been working in Rails professionally for several years, knows the framework, but also knows when to break out of it. They have a strong understanding of test-driven development, with a bias towards action.
- 5+ years experience with Ruby, or similar language.
- 5+ years of experience with Ruby on Rails or similar MVC web framework.
- Experience with designing and scaling API-heavy asynchronous background jobs in any environment, but especially Ruby.
- Experience with PostgreSQL or similar relational databases.
- Strong written / spoken communication skills.
- Lives somewhere in the UTC-3 to UTC-8 time zones.
Nice to haves
- Ability to distill complex technical topics to an audience with diverse levels of technical expertise.
- Some familiarity with React.
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Platform.
- Familiarity with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Strong bias to TDD and well-written tests
- Switch is located in Toronto, Canada, but operates fully remotely.
- Remote candidates are welcome to apply.
- Preference will be shown to candidates that can be regularly available in-person in Toronto.
- Initial interview: A 30-45 minute chat with our CTO/Director of Engineering. We'll share more about the role, our expectations, your history and experience, and go over any questions you may have.
- Skills interview: We aren't big believers in the traditional whiteboard/algorithmic interview structure. We want to expose you to some real problems you may face at Switch, so we'll pair-program on a small project as a way to spark discussion and get to know how you approach new problems, and what things you consider.
- Interview with CEO/CFO: This is the candidate's chance to meet the rest of the leadership team at Switch and learn about the company from a business perspective.
- Optional: Meet with one of our industry advisors to learn more about our industry and trajectory.
- Offer: We'll make you an offer and you can decide if you want to join us.
- Market competitive compensation based on experience
Send a description of yourself, your work experience, and why you want to work with us at Switch to [email protected].
If you think you have the experience and desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment, but lack some of the requirements please consider applying anyway.
We are looking for great people and would love to chat with you.